I don’t know how else to describe this cake, so I’m calling it “Fudgy Cola.”
If I had followed the original recipe I’d call it “Double Chocolate Coca Cola Cake,” but I didn’t, so fudgy cola it is.
It reminds me of the slab of cake the school lunch lady would slap on your tray at lunch time. If you don’t know what I’m talking about then you’ve never had to eat warmed over casserole on a plastic tray with a cardboard carton of white milk. Regardless, the silver lining was always the slab of fudgy cake…
It was Scrumptious! 🤤
Scrumdiddlyumptious that is!!
Here are the ingredients for the cake 🙂
The recipe calls for buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk you can either make your own, or get away with using plain milk.
To make 1/2 cup of Buttermilk: Pour 1/2 tablespoon of Vinegar into a measuring cup and fill the remainder with milk to the 1/2 cup line. It should look curdled so don’t let that worry you. Let it sit for 5 minutes then mix it up and done!
The recipe comes together in Four stages.
- Dissolve some ingredients on the stovetop.
2. Sift some ingredients into a large bowl.
3. Mix together the ingredients we just discussed.
4. Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
It’s that simple.
Make sure you grease your pan. I use Baker’s Joy because it already has flour in it and I’m lazy 😀
According to the recipe, you should bake for 20-25 minutes. Mine took 27 minutes.
Here are the ingredients for the frosting.
You don’t say…
Similar to the cake recipe, dissolve most of the ingredients on the stovetop to start the frosting…
And then whisk in the powdered sugar.
Now drizzle it over the cake.
IT SMELLED SO GOOD. Belle said it smelled like hot chocolate, and essentially it IS hot chocolate soo.. right on, Belle. 🙂
We “MIGHT” have had this for breakfast the next day….
”If it’s not chocolate, it’s not breakfast.” – Laini Taylor
Fudgy Cola Cake adaptations are as follows:
- Substitute one cup of Coca-cola with Dr. Pepper instead
- Increase the salt from 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon
- Add an additional teaspoon of Almond extract
- Substitute vanilla extract with almond extract instead
- Add two tablespoons of Dr. Pepper
- Add a 1/4 teaspoon of Salt